Friday, February 10, 2012

The following is letter that our guide, Aaron, sent us after we had finished our time in Brisas del Mar:


La Pandilla CELL,


That little coffee bean. Seems to have taken on a radically new meaning in my life. I am pretty confident that there are thirteen others that would feel the same way. While a simple expresso or latte would have drawn perhaps a sliver of my attention in the past, now it seems to have instigated a flood of images, memories and recuerdos.

I am certain, like many of you, that I will first think of Chico’s smiling face. That’s probably unavoidable. Then there will be a glimpse of Obed leaning on my shoulder on the car ride down the mountain and perhaps Evelyn letting me hold her for a very satisfying 60 seconds. While these mental pictures will undoubtedly push a smile on my face, I hope they also prompt me to remember the invaluable lessons of our Honduran teachers: extraordinary generosity, admirable humility and appreciation for the great opportunities that each and every one of us receive.

At the same time, it is inevitable that other images will not also appear in my head. Farm plots on unimaginably sharp slippery hillsides, 100 pound sack after one hundred pound sack carried on the backs of los corteros, and a voice of struggle and constant exertion that seems inherent in the story of just about every small scale coffee farmer. These particular images will have  another purpose. They are a reminder of our commitment and obligation, as was stated over and over again, to “take the community members with us.” Live differently, carry the message home and make a difference. I think we owe that much to our cloud forest amigos of Brisas del Mar.

As I said before, buen trabajo amigos! Your terrific attitude, willingness to absorb everything around you, and tremendous effort to get to know a rural Honduran family on such an extraordinarily personal level is nothing short of maravilloso. I wish you all the very best on the rest of your journey of learning and hope all that is taken in and learned will be converted into teaching, sharing and action in all that you do.

Hasta otro dia,
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment